Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low light easy to look after plants

STFA_StrikerSTFA_Striker Member, Classifieds Posts: 346
edited August 2012 in Classifieds
Ok folks im in need of some low light plants that arent going to require a Co2 set up. They need to be really easy to look after :lol: what have you got and how many skins is it going to cost me to get them to goulburn?

Im thinking some floating stuff like duck weed (i think thats it) could be handy for the time being as well.

Mooo, can you please move this to the classifieds as its telling me im not allowed to post a new discussion topic in there???????

Comments

• shaunoshauno Member Posts: 122
    edited August 2012
    If the duck weed is the azola genus i think that may suck a fair bit of DO - it does in the wild. I was always under the impression that Java fern was a good choice for the above. Also try hornwart derivities if you can still get them in australia.

Also try this site http://www.angelfire.com/home/fishbowl/plants.html
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited August 2012
    All done Adam, :)>-
    I can sort you out some plants for low light ;) :D, Frogbit,the large duckweed.or small normal duck weed. different Javas.a few crypts.I could snip a few annubia for you too.
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • STFA_StrikerSTFA_Striker Member, Classifieds Posts: 346
    You are an absolute legend mooo. YOu will have to carefully explain to me what goes where with the plants though as i have bugger all idea
    edited August 2012
    ;)) :\"> ;;) You will see what to do with them, when you see my tanks :)>-
  • STFA_StrikerSTFA_Striker Member, Classifieds Posts: 346
    Ill let you knwo when im down there :-)
  • fletch95fletch95 Member Posts: 390
    warning about duck weed- iv just removed about a cup full out of my tank after an accidental intro via some wood from the pond, this stuff grows very fast and is impossible to remove fully, blocks light and sucks up nutrients from use of other plants. good for ponds tho
  • Errol WilsonErrol Wilson Member, Classifieds Posts: 526
    Depends if your fish eat it,I feed my rainbows a handfull every week, and there is never any left. :D
    edited August 2012
    Depends Fletch, as errol said ..I love it, it tells me when my nitrates are creeping up..:D, I keep it to a minimum & it can be quite useful.. :)
  • fletch95fletch95 Member Posts: 390
    i guess, my rainbows eat it to, but it grows way to fast in my setup. also i read some were that if you clean it realy well you can eat it like salad????lol more protein that chicken breast.? i think.
  • Elvy Golden-BrownElvy Golden-Brown Member Posts: 25
    Yep you sure can eat it...you need to saute and puree it because it's kinda tough, but it mixes in to creamy soups well.
    Awesome..hmm I don't know that hubby would like to see me grab a scoop of duckweed from the tank and add it to his soup lol :-/
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    Wish I could get some duck weed up here, lol
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    Where are you on mars, why can't you get any?
    I'm in Gympie the last garden nursery up here, went out of business about 12 months ago and i'm not paying for deleviery for that stuff. lol
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    edited August 2012
    I could post you some :D for a small price $10, mainly for postage, I it in a sandwich bag with water, and then into another bigger bag, in case of leakage, then into a Chinese container, sealing edge with packing tape, and then wrap in paper towel, take to PO & pop into small hard cardboard postage box, Works well, I am told no leakage :-bd
  • Errol WilsonErrol Wilson Member, Classifieds Posts: 526
    Why dom't you grow your own, only have to buy the once. your bows will love you for it, they will eat heaps. I will do the same once it warms up, wont grow in the frost. =))
    Grow it inside in a tank /:) I do ;;)
    Thanks Mooo, you're a champion :D I'll take you up on your offer, just pm me your bank details, I just set up an old grow out tub on the patio :))
    :)>-
    STFA_Striker, sorry for the hijack of your post :)>- Mooo all done thanks heaps. :-B
  • puma85puma85 Member, Classifieds Posts: 370
    I haven't read all the posts so don't shoot me down if someone has mentioned it.

I would recommend Javafern. It's pretty tough stuff and doesn't need much like. The only problem I have with it is that it is a little slow growing but I have it in my tanks and it just takes care of it's self.