Can't find Malaysian Trumpet Snails

mr_c265
mr_c265 Member Posts: 167
edited October 2012 in Tropical / Freshwater Fish
I know this may raise a few questions (as most of what i read on here is 'how do i get rid of them'), but i want to get some malaysian trumpet snails for my 4ft community tank and 2ft plant growing tanks, as ive heard that they help aerate the substrate. I was wondering if anybody knows of anywhere, preferably on the Northern Beaches of Sydney (but happy to go to the CBD) where i can buy some (or inadvertently acquire some on plants) as i seem to be unable to find them anywhere! Also, although im ready to cope with the rampant breeding and the associated bioload, are there any other downsides to having them?

Comments

• Mooo
    Mooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    Hi Mr & Welcome.
    I Have no idea..
    Too bad Brenda did a substrate removal in her tanks a few weeks back, she would have had heaps of the blighters lol
    I would say any other snail would do the same, they all live in the substrate during the daylight hours..I keep & happily breed Ramshorns, as I can regulate their population..
    ;;)
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • mr_c265
    Hi! Thank you!
    Ah, damn! Thats a shame! Ill keep scouring my local fish stores till i spot some!
    I currently have pond snails everywhere in all my tanks and i suspect they dont go anywhere near the gravel, they do a good job of cleaning leftover food on the top though! I was hoping for a snail to clean and aerate the gravel (and hopefully avoid my snail loving kribensis)! I wasnt aware most snails lived in the substrate though, with that in mind I may look into getting some of the larger snails like Ramshorns and Mystery Snails if i fail to find some trumpets, was just hoping for something small and interesting!
  • Mooo
    Mystery snails don't live in the substrate..
    I do know my younger ramshorns do tho. the adults don't, but all those youngens they have do, when the lights go on they all make their way back down the glass to the floor.
  • mr_c265
    Do you think ramshorn snails are a better choice than Malaysian Trumpet Snails? After a bit of reading im beginning to lean that way instead! I have a feeling you've unwittingly saved me a lot of hassle! Thank you!
  • Doug
    Doug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    oh my god yes! go rams horns. You can get rid of ram horns easy if you decide to loose the snails in the future. you will never get rid of the trumpets, they will be the curse of your life. trust me!
  • mr_c265
    cheers, thank you very much! i definately feel ramshorns are a better choice now, i have a feeling i would've come to regret it in time too!
  • fish4fish3
    fish4fish3 Member Posts: 83
    much nicer to look at too... red ramshorns anway

I bought myself 5 at first but they were older I guess as they were very dark and could barely pull themselves up the side of the tank. They soon died but had left me with enough babies to continue the cycle.

I still bought another 5 younger really red guys to have stepped generations. (if that makes sense)

i have mystery snails too... They are great indicators. I use them in the tank that I have more expensive fish cause when they die or don't come out of their shell you know there is something wrong with the water.
  • Mooo
    edited October 2012
    Brilliant...Now next problem, Can you acquire them? :D I have some if you can't source any
    ;;)
  • mr_c265
    that's the mission for this weekend! i have 3 fish stores in my area so ill have a look, if not, if you have some to spare, ill let you know! thank you!
  • Mooo
    :)>- ;;)
  • zarramarie
    zarramarie Member Posts: 233
    ok doug how do you get rid of them easily??!! I have crazy amounts! and trying to get there empty shells out is becoming a pain. They get big and die... is that normal? I put in a fry saver into the big tank and next minute one climbs in and theres millions!
    Also you guys/girls would know, what are those little black snails? with a sea shell type shaped shell? I have no idea where they came from, they lay one egg at a time, and like to live in my canister filter!! When ever I give it a rinse theres hundreds in the bottom and through the pads. :-/
  • mr_c265
    edited October 2012
    Zarra, Would they look like this by any chance?
    These would be the Malaysian Trumpet Snails we were talking about above. If it is these, whats your experience with them? Do they get on your nerves?
    Or if i interpreted completely wrongly, (the bit about the one egg put me off, trumpet snails have live babys haha) are they perhaps pond snails?
    Also @mooo , i called up my local store about the Ramshorns, they have a few in stock, ill head down this weekend, check them out and i think i should be good for them, thank you :)
  • zarramarie
    No there not trumpet ones, Defaintly the pond snails lol. Does that mean if i put them out in my pond they live ok? I put my ramshorns outside and they die...
  • mr_c265
    As long as the water parameters of your pond are ok and you don't live somewhere thats too cold, i don't see any reason why not! i have a feeling (not entirely sure though) that i got my pond snails initially from plants out of a river up near bathurst, if they can survive up there, they'll be good pretty much anywhere!
  • Mooo
    edited October 2012
    @ Zarra ....Pond snails will do fine outside..
    @ Mr_c ...OK...If ever you want some, I could safely say, I will prolly always have some lol
  • megs
    megs Member Posts: 261
    eewww, I have pond snails in my rainbow tank, just when I think they are all gone I see a little one, how do I eliminate them for good...
    are they ok to have... or a pest
  • mr_c265
    depends on what you think of them, i like them, they do clean certain types of algae, they also eat leftover food and bits of floating lettuce that my bristlenoses have chopped up, likewise, my kribensis eat them, so they do me no harm. I believe loaches eat snails too, so that could be a good way to get rid of them, but i dont mind them at all.
  • Mooo
    Get a loach :D
  • zarramarie
    my little brother has those snake loach ones?? They dont seem to get rid of them, are they the wrong ones? do u need crown loach?\
    yeah ive tried the ramshorn out in the pond, they were living but then it go cold, my fish are alive still but were very slow or nowhere to be seen most the time in winter, its gets to below zero in winter and above 48 in summer. is that too hot for them? my goldies do find in it but not sure about anything else. my fish tanks get to 30 in summer with no heating. Theres always aglae in there pond...
    I think the snails are good for cleaning wise they get all the food and seem to break down the fish poo. and eat any dead plant leaves.But they do get out of control! specially when they find a place to breed!
  • Doug
    Doug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    Rule 1: NEVER PUT POND SNAILS ANYWHERE EXCEPT DEADSVILLE! They are an introduced species from NZ and are very invasive. Even though they are common throughout most Australian rivers please don't allow them the opportunity to get into another one.

other than that most snail issues can be solved with the addition of a loach or two. Going with Clown Loaches is the most common but they get big and are not the best. Pakistani Loaches or Reticulate Loaches are the best bet. Don't get too big and they actually dig through the gravel. They also can get into the trumpet snails, not lots of them but some.

Best method to loose trumpet snails is a product called 'No Planeria'. Best thing i have found :D

Works really well though it makes the water a bit cloudy for a while but it works, and they have a good time while they are going. 'No Planeria' is based on a hallucinogenic drug :)>-
  • Errol Wilson
    Errol Wilson Member, Classifieds Posts: 526
    Doug, Do the snails get red teeth as well or is that just in PNG. =))
  • Bob
    Bob Member, Classifieds Posts: 708
    Please don't tell me that No Planaria is Buai and Lime based. YUKKKKKKK

Regards,

Bob
  • Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    Six drops of the essence of terror, Five drops of sinister sauce,
    When the stirring's done may I lick the spoon?
    Of course ha ha of course.
    Now for the tincture of Mary Jane, But I must use only a touch,
    For without a touch of Mary Jane, It might not destroy the snails! 8-X 8-X
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Errol Wilson
    Errol Wilson Member, Classifieds Posts: 526
  • Mooo
    lol Crack up Heintz =))
  • Mooo
    edited October 2012
    The dwarf chain loaches I don't think they eat snails, Get a yoyo aka Pakistan loach..
  • mr_c265
    Snails make good fish food when you can reach em :P
  • Bob
    Bob Member, Classifieds Posts: 708
    Hi All,

I had b. sidthimunki a while back and they were very good on the smaller snails that I had in my 4x2x2.

Depending on the size of the snails and the numbers you are probably better off with the larger varieties such as b. macracanthus (clown), b. kubotai (polka-dot or burmese border) or b. lohachata (pakistani).

Regards,

Bob
  • mr_c265
    i nearly forgot, i got my ramshorns yesterday, they're so cool to watch, look so much better than pond snails! i put most of them in with my plants, but put two with my kribensis. this morning one of the big kribs has a shell in his cave. Well it was worth a shot.
  • Alasse
    Alasse Member Posts: 207
    I have Malaysian Trumpet snails, they do a great job
  • mr_c265
    if i can trick someone at home into letting me put another tank somewhere i may give them a shot, but at the moment im terrified of them overrunning my main tanks!
  • mr_c265
    also, do you find them annoying? do you have trouble with their population? just wondering if everyone has problems with them or just the ones that complain about it.
  • Brengun
    Brengun Moderator Posts: 1,985
    I had trouble with trumpet snail population explosions until I removed all the gravel.
    Photobucket
  • Mooo
    Hate them, wouldn't even consider having one..
  • mr_c265
    thanks guys! i really want to see what all the fuss is about! i dont think ill ever do it though, a gravel removal sounds a little bit too much work just for an experiment!
  • Brengun
    Brengun Moderator Posts: 1,985
    If I see any trumpet snails in my pond I will let you know but winter may have wiped them out as I never heated the pond last winter.
    Photobucket
  • Alasse
    Alasse Member Posts: 207
    If i overfeed then i have an explosion. If i dont do proper tank maintenance i have an explosion. Otherwise they dont cause any issues..
    I have clown loaches in one tank, so if they get too out of control i borrow one and drop in for a little while, soon sorts em out lol

Unheated water wont kill them, being in stored gravel wont kill em either. They're tough little beasties
  • mr_c265
    I scored some today funny enough, ugly little fellows, they better get good at turning over my soil soon or i may be looking for some copper.
  • Mooo
    lol most ferts have copper :D I hate the critters, never had them...don't want to either :/
  • mr_c265
    i was more thinking electrolysis, a little extreme maybe but im ready to give these guys a chance first!
  • Mooo
    Anything's worth a shot, but those thing, a shot out of a gun lol ;;) imho