Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ph Meter

Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
I was wondering if anyone here uses one of those electronic ph. meters, if so how do find them are they any good accuracy wise. Testing with the test kit is useless on the Blackwater tank, as the water is already tan in colour in the test tube, before I even add the regent.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.

Comments

• MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited March 2014
    I have an one, never used it lol they need recalibrating with distilled water to get them neutral again or something lol, & I didn't understand it all so it's still sitting in my bits n bobs box, damn it, I could have popped it into the frog box @-) you could of had it too #-o
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • FraykFrayk Member Posts: 1,008
    Apparently they are pretty good, a friend of mine has one, he can also test the ph of his citrus trees, ie. lemon and orange trees, dunno, ill try to catch up with him,might have my wires crossed 8->
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    Thanks Mooo you're a sweetheart, next time :\">

Frayk, I think they are two different types of meters one for testing water and the other to test soil unless I'm missing something :-??
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • DougDoug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    I have had several. You pay for what you get with them. The cheap ones need recalibrating almost every use while the more expensive ones can be left in the water permanently and recalibrated once every few months. I used one with my automatic CO2 system an it was great!

When I sold that i bought a middle of the road one and it was ok, calibration would last about a month before it began to slide.

• zarramariezarramarie Member Posts: 233
    We use them at tafe in hydroponics. They are really good. We have to calibrate ours at start of lesson to make sure we got the correct readings. As we use it for over 15 different systems with different pH. Just dont smash the bulb! Lol. They said ours r over 100 bucks.
  • NemoNemo Member Posts: 208
    Hey Doug, where can you buy the expensive one? What brand and price please? Thanks
    photo c94_zpse25ec6fb.gif
    Hey Nemo, just Google Digital PH meter you'll find them from $8 to over $1,000, lol
    Thanks for the info guys, I decided to go the cheap path $13 including delivery even if it only lasts a couple of months, if I like what it does then I'll invest in a good one something like a Hanna PH meter.
    edited March 2014
    Finally got the PH meter, I calibrated it checked the tanks 6'er 7.4, 3'er 7.2, Blackwater 30" 7.9 with 11 IAL's in it, then checked the top up bucket 9ltrs with 1 IAL PH 8.2, go figure IAL's increasing the PH. Tap water is 7.5.
  • DougDoug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    go back and check the first tank again to make sure that the calibration is not slipping
    Thanks Doug, I've done it all evening form test solution to 3 tanks all the same results, then I decided to check the tap water with a few drops of Prime jumped to 7.9, maybe a false reading? or the meter is not working as it should.
    Hate to say it, but you get what you pay for :/ maybe it is just too cheap to be effective :/
    Yep I agree, I did what you did Mooo put it in it's case, but mine went out the window not in the bits box :))
    bwahahah :)) :)>-
  • TallTree01TallTree01 Member Posts: 580
    Lol good call! :D
  • Errol WilsonErrol Wilson Member, Classifieds Posts: 526
    Out the window..? it will rust and you wont be able to change your mind bwahahah =)) =)) =))

I just love the spelling of bwahah 3:-O just cant stop laughing haha