Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When do i start to feed severum fry

setrewsetrew Member Posts: 14
Hi,

My Gold Severum pair has recently laid eggs and I noticed this morning that some of the eggs are starting to hatch. How long until I start feeding them baby brine shrimp. Do I start immediately or as soon as they are free swimming?

I intend to leave them with the parents unless they start eating them, Therefore, if all goes well and they are good parents when should I separate them from the parents? and what is the earliest that I can separate them if required

Any advise is appreciated

Comments

• FraykFrayk Member Posts: 1,009
    If they have an egg sac attached then wait till they absorb it, around six days.
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited June 2015
    Yes Frayk is correct, Wait until their egg sacs has been absorbed then give crushed flake or spirulina or baby brine shrimp :D Practice makes perfect ;) I'd leave them to it, good chance they eat the first few batches, but if they got them to hatching stage you may have good fast learners :D
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • FraykFrayk Member Posts: 1,009
    edited June 2015
    BTW Some species of fish absorb most of their yolk before hatching and are ready to feed right away, check perhaps with Severums, I only keep aussie natives so to be honest, not a wiz with much else! Plenty of hiding places will increase fry mortality, ie rocks, caves , wood,moss,hollows, plants, even say scrunched chicken wire.

:)) :D
  • setrewsetrew Member Posts: 14
    Thankyou all, I can see small egg sacs on them. the female has the male bailed up at the other side of the tank. I have thrown in a bit of PVC pipe where he is seeking refuge. So far after one day all appear to be hatched and well under the care of the female. Not sure if the male has had a go at them or if she is just being protective naturally
    I have some instant baby brine shrimp some spirulina powder which I can mix with tank water and will pick up a brine shrimp hatching kit today.

Once I start feeding how often should I feed, I was thinking first thing each morning, late afternoon and late evening