Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryukin setup

Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
It's been about 12 months since I've had fish, now I think it's time to start again >:) literality, well almost from the beginning since I sold every thing.

I'm going to setup A Ryukin tank nothing large and cold water (no heater) woohoo.

I found an old 3ft stand in my workshop aka spare room which will be converted into a cabinet and painted black.

The tank will be 36x18x24 WxDxH and for all the kids out there 91x46x60 CM approx 250ltrs, which my brother is organizing for me.

So far I have the stand, led light and 1200lph canister filter and have to get everything else there goes the bank account Lol, anyway here's a pic for now.

photo DSC_0074.jpg

This will be work in progress, off to Bunnings next week to pick up some ply and a few bits and pieces, more pics to come as thing progress.

Edit: Adjusted litres to 250
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.

Comments

• animal_expert01animal_expert01 Member Posts: 380
    Nice! How many goldfish are you going to have?
  • clickmeclickme Member Posts: 132
    great. keen to see this take shape. are you planning plants. I understand gold fish and plants are like , 'bad fish, bad fish, who ate that plant - go swim in the corner'
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    edited September 2016

Nice! How many goldfish are you going to have?

Not quite sure possibly 4 if nothing else goes in the tank, or 3 if I decide to add a colony of red cherry shrimp.

clickme said:

great. keen to see this take shape. are you planning plants. I understand gold fish and plants are like , 'bad fish, bad fish, who ate that plant - go swim in the corner'

Live plant wise Anubias, Java fern are almost indestructible and Duck weed, the rest will be Silk plants.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    wont the goldies gobble the shrimp. or is that the plan.
    Haha yeah that's part of it, firstly I'll get about a dozen Shrimp let them make a decent size colony and then add the Ryukin.

They will then in turn keep the shrimp on their toes if I go down this route, if not then it'll be just 4 Ryukin.
  • FraykFrayk Member Posts: 1,008
    Cmon ol m8 how about an up date on the Ryukin tank ;)
    Not much happening I just started yesterday, cut all ply and stuck the sides on (damned if I don't love liquid nails) Lol.

I went to Bunnings with a price limit in mind, only get the things I needed (YEAH RIGHT) got there and grabbed everything I needed, then did the worst thing imaginable started cruising up and down the isles and yes you guessed it Lol.

I decided I needed a new circular saw, some more clamps, cushions for the outdoor setting, potting mix more basil and coriander and thanks to you @Frayk my Mother (who lives next door to me) wants a Moth Orchid to add to her collection.

Oh well looks like I'm off to Bunnings again, I have a love hate relationship with Bunnings, love shopping hate the register.
    :D Onya Heintz, you :re a legend, know exactly where your coming from. :D
    can I send you a small list to add to your bunnings list, yeah, including a moth orchid - :*
    Frayk said:

:D Onya Heintz, you :re a legend, know exactly where your coming from. :D

Hahaha, back to Bunnings tomorrow.
    clickme said:

can I send you a small list to add to your bunnings list, yeah, including a moth orchid - :*

Mate, if you lived next door I'd drag you along with me.
    A quick update, converted the stand to cabinet and painted black, very grainy pics I don't know what went wrong I was even sober, Lol

photo DSC_0076.jpg

photo DSC_0078.jpg
    edited October 2016
    Heintz.G said:

I don't know what went wrong I was even sober, Lol

theres the problem right there.
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited October 2016
    :D lol You cracked me up mate, I think I need a moth orchid too ;) conversion looks great :)
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • animal_expert01animal_expert01 Member Posts: 380
    clickme said:

Lol... :lol:
    Mooo said:

:D lol You cracked me up mate, I think I need a moth orchid too ;) conversion looks great :)

I'll get you an Orchid too but you'll have to come get it and yes you can bring Mick as well, you'll have to drive all night to get here though.

Tell Mick I'll grab a few extra slabs and while we're having man time you can drive a couple of hours north and visit @Brengun :D

lol I wish ;)
    Just a quick update, the tank won't get here till early December :/
    I got a few bit and pieces delivered the other day, you never know they might come handy :)

Twin Outlet Adjustable Aquarium Air Pump 400 LPH
    Bubble Curtain 90cm
    Airline Suction Cup Connectors x 10 (I hope that'll be enough) haha
    Soft Silicon Airline Tubing x10 MTRS
    Replacement Coarse Sponge x2
    1Kg of Bakki balls
    and they even threw in a couple of airline check valves........ bonus

On a side note I have to go back to Bunnings next week Lol......

What? Going to Bunnings and not getting a moth Orchid? :#
    Frayk said:

What? Going to Bunnings and not getting a moth Orchid? :#

Yes I'll be getting another Phalaenopsis spp for me this time Lol

All quiet on the Ryukin front....... ;)
    Frayk said:

All quiet on the Ryukin front....... ;)

I have everything except wood and the tank which should be here early next month. I forgot how expensive setting up a new system can be Lol.

Way to go......expensive it is. :s
    edited January 2017
    Update time.

I now have the tank and it's painted, time to get into gear and a make start.
    Here's a couple of pics.

photo DSC_0090.jpg

photo DSC_0089.jpg
    Way to go ol m8, love the blue background,find it very calming, cant wait to see finished product. Happy new year. ;)
    Nice, don't make us wait too long for updates ;)
    Mooo said:

Nice, don't make us wait too long for updates ;)

Haha, here you go filled to make sure the filter works and the cabinet can hold the weight, more to come.

photo DSC_0093.jpg

photo DSC_0094.jpg

Another update the tank now has gravel :D did I hear someone say where's the pics :p ok then I guess I better upload some :D

These pics are with my 60cm light which I think look better than the 90cm light in my other post, no flash.

photo DSC_0097.jpg

Moon light, just in case they're scared of the dark Lol.

photo DSC_0095.jpg
    Now I have very rare and expensive African lace fern Lol, in the tank, my go to silk plant (buy 1 get 1 free so I bought 3 and got 6) I'll give my brother 3 of them :D I still have to source some Anubias barteri, duck weed and then start cycling the tank.

photo DSC_0101.jpg
    <3
    A quick update, I just ordered 2 Anubias Barteri Old Type and 2 Banana Lilies.

Here's a pic of the layout now, the Anubias will cable tied to the wood and the lilies well if the Ryukin leave them alone will grow where ever Lol.

photo DSC_0121.jpg

Looking good!!!!! :)
    Yet another update Lol, Plants arrived and in the tank.
    Not the best pics water has gone a bit cloudy, Banana Lilly's are in front of the Lace fern and guess where the Anubias is :D

photo DSC_0128.jpg

photo DSC_0130.jpg

edited January 2017
    Frayk said:

Gettin there, :D

That's it no more :p now a quick cycle and then fish :D

@Bob You really don't need new glasses Lol, here you go.

photo DSC_0131.jpg
    edited February 2017
    I have just ordered 4x Ryukin 5cm (red & white) through Livefish, should get here by Thursday, being old I couldn't wait any longer lots more pics to come.

Edit: date of arrival :/

On a side note the Anubias and the Lilies keep shooting off leaves.
    Oh awesome :D can't wait :D
    Cant wait either... :)
    Ryukin eve!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait... :D
    They are in the tank and settled in quite well, they still look like fantails being only about 5cm. I'll get some pics up a bit later.
    Frayk said:

Ryukin eve!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait... :D

I love your enthusiasm Lol :D
    Here's a few crap pics, they just won't stay still Lol.

photo DSC_0154.jpg
    photo DSC_0147.jpg
    photo DSC_0144.jpg
    photo DSC_0140.jpg
    photo DSC_0138.jpg

I will try again with the other Led light and see how they turn out, in a couple of days.

Lovely little critters :)
    Here's a few more pics, I can't wait till they grow and become more photogenic :D .

photo DSC_0169.jpg
    photo DSC_0167.jpg
    photo DSC_0168.jpg
    Quick update, 2 of the Ryukin decided they didn't like it in the tank and kicked the bucket, I think it might be heat related stress, the tank temp averages at 29.4 during the day and around 28 over night, there is plenty of water movement below and above the water line. All the water parameters are good.

Ph=7.4
    Nitrates=10ppm
    Nitrates=0
    Ammonia=0

Food wise, Hikari Goldfish Excel, Spirulina and vege flakes, and freeze dried Black worms.

Not ever having kept Goldie's before, I'll see how these two go if it all goes to hell, I think I'll get back into Rainbows ;)
  • RainbowsRainbows Member Posts: 243
    Sorry to hear about that Heintz but I like the future plan of Rainbows, ain't nothing better.
    Yeah, thats no good olm8, no good at all. :s
    edited February 2017
    Rainbows said:

Sorry to hear about that Heintz but I like the future plan of Rainbows, ain't nothing better.

I've taken quite a liking to the Ryukin Lol so I ordered replacements for the ones that died.
    Looks like another project is on the horizon perhaps, Melanotaenia Praecox.

• RainbowsRainbows Member Posts: 243
    Praecox are actually one of the species that I like the least, pygmaea are similar and much nicer imo. Interested to see what happens regardless.