Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any idea what this is?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what is going on with my platy's fins? The top pic shows her yesterday, the bottom pic was taken this morning. You can clearly see the cloudy patches on her tail fin today. She is acting normally, no clamping, no fuzzy stuff or breakage of fins, just these cloudy patches. I'm a bit worried because i have only had her 4 days. My husband won't allow me to set up a second tank so i can't quarrantine new fish so it is always a risk to buy new fish. She came from a pet shop where all the fish in the tank appeared to be very healthy, no dead or dying fish and no sign of white spot etc. The guy at the shop said they had been there for about a week. Any ideas of what it could be?

Comments

• animal_expert01animal_expert01 Member Posts: 380
    edited January 2017
    To be completely honest I don't know, but it may be an internal tape worm, live brearers tend to get those very often.
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    edited January 2017
    Could you let us know what the water parameters of your tank are.

PH
    KH
    GH
    and especially Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate.

Are any of the others starting to show signs of this? at first glance I thought it might be stress related, is anyone picking on her? or it could be the early stages of Cotton wool disease.

On a side note, tell the other half you need a small QT/Hospital tank.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • MadfishladyMadfishlady Member Posts: 16
    Can't test at the moment but yesterday the parameters were A = 0, Nitrite = 0 & Nitrate = 40. PH is 7.6. I have an ongoing struggle against high Nitrate. The other half loves the fish but knows absolutley nothing about tank maintenance. He majorly overfeeds despite me telling him that it affects the tank cleanliness. Frustrating but i do lots of water changes to compensate for the over zealous feeding. As far as a second QT tank goes, no way am i allowed a second tank. If any fish get sick i have to dose the whole tank. I'll keep my eye on her and if i start to notice any fuzzy stuff i'll start the meds asap. She is being picked on a little bit but not enough to cause much stress i don't think. No symptoms in any of the other fish.
    Good, Ammonia = 0 that rules out possible Ammonia burn, Nitrates are a tad on the high side but not that high to worry about could just be a weak fish, I've had a few over the years that's why you need a QT tank!!. Now to the other half tell him to stop over feeding the fish, even better stop feeding the fish at all and leave it all up to you or get you a QT Lol, I like that you do lots of small water changes instead of one large change every week or so.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    Sadly, it looks as though it is cotton wool disease, although it had manifested itself in one of my existing black neon tetras, not the new fish. QT tank is still not allowed so i have to dose the whole tank. Would i be best to start with aquarium salt? If so, what ratio should i use? Otherwise, should i use Melafix straight up? Thanks for your help!
    Also, i have dozens of live plants in the tank, will salt kill them? Can rock salt or sea salt from the supermarket be used? I don't have a pet shop in the town where i live. Thanks again
    Don't put the salt in the tank, you'll need a separate container or tank and do salt baths, Personally I would get some API Pimafix and Melafix here's a breakdown of what they do.

PIMAFIX

All natural, anti fungal remedy for the treatment of fish disease

Benefits:

Quickly treats fungal infections on body and fins
    All natural, extracted from West Indian Bay Trees

Follow API Easy Care Guide and use PIMAFIX when:

Addressing Fish Problem Solving issues

PIMAFIX is a patented formula derived from Pimenta racemosa (West Indian Bay Tree), a proven natural antifungal.
    PIMAFIX rapidly treats fungus or cottony growth, mouth and body fungus and reddening of the fins and body.
    PIMAFIX also treats internal and external bacterial infections.
    All natural PIMAFIX is a broad spectrum treatment which prevents pathogens from developing resistance.
    PIMAFIX will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolour water.
    Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water.
    PIMAFIX has been formulated to work in combination with MELAFIX to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases.

Treats: 5ml treats 40 litres of water

Directions:

Use the API Dosing Cap on Bottle:
    Shake Well.
    Remove activated carbon, if possible.

Dose:

Add 5ml per 40 litres of aquarium water.
    Dose daily for 7 days. After 7 days, make a 25% water change.
    Treatment can be continued if necessary.

MELAFIX

All natural treatment and protection of bacterial infections

Benefits:

Reduces risk of disease
    All natural antibacterial treatment
    Heals open wounds and abrasions
    Treats tail rot, eye cloud, & mouth fungus
    Promotes re-growth of damaged fin rays and tissue

Follow API Easy Care Guide and use MELAFIX when:

Adding fish
    Smoothing the transition from store to home
    Treating bacterial infections
    During fish problem solving

MELAFIX smooths the transition from store to home by reducing the risk of your fish developing a disease. The fish you bought may already carry a disease. Disease is often difficult to detect, particularly in its early stages. To treat these fish and reduce the risk of contaminating other fish use MELAFIX, an all natural treatment. Bacterial disease destroys fish tissue. MELAFIX, heals open wounds abrasions, treats fin and tail rot, eye cloud, mouth fungus and promotes re-growth of damaged fin rays & tissue. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolour water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water aquariums.

Treats: 5ml treats 40 litres of water

Directions:

Shake well. Remove activated carbon if possible. Add 5ml per 40 litres of aquarium water.
    Disease or wound treatment: Dose daily for 7 days. After 7 days, make a 25% water change. Continue treatment, if necessary.
    Adding new fish: Dose daily for 3 days.

Can be used together.
    Thanks so much. I have just bought a fish bowl to put the affected fish in, it's the best i can do with no backup tank. I have a spare pump at home so will use that for aeration. I have been able to borrow some Melafix but not Pimafix. I'll try the Melafix first and see how i go. Can't hurt i guess.
    Ok good now you have a hospital bowl ;) good luck but you really want the Pimafix for fungal infections, but you never know Melafix just might work :)
    I should be able to get some Pimafix tomorrow all being well. No way i could catch the tetra to put it in the bowl though. The tank is too heavily planted and the tetra was too quick darting into the plants. I gave up chasing, removed the carbon from the filter and dosed the whole tank. I will try catching the affected fish again tomorrow & separating it but if i can't, i guess i will just have to keep treating the main tank. Interestingly, the cottony looking growth had mostly fallen off when i got home from work tonight. It has taken a small chunk out of the fin and the edges of fin where the fuzzy stuff was is white and now looks more like fin rot. No idea what is going on. Thank you so much for all the helpful advice Heintz.G, it is greatly appreciated!!
    This is the affected tetra. Any thoughts?
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited January 2017
    This could be ammonia burn from transporting or a fungus, try using API Pimafix and Melafix, there is great advice above ;) if it is just one tank, treat whole tank.. don't remove fish as it will only stress it and make things worse ;) Do a 10% water change every day . Good luck
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
    Any update on how things are going?
    It is all a bit of a mystery really. The cloudiness on the platy's fins cleared up and the tetra's fin is starting tongrow back nicely. No idea what it was but things seem to have returned to normal now. Thank you all for your help, it was greatly appreciated!!
    Good to see that it all cleared up. Did you end up using Pimafix or just continued treating with Melafix.
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited February 2017
    Seems ammonia burn could have been it,, from transportation ;) They have survived the shock of transport and the burnt fins, they should return to normal, Lucky none were lost ;) Thanks for the update :D

photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif