Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Q: Measuring Light vs. depth?

squishyfishysquishyfishy Member Posts: 10
I've recently bought a new LED light for my 200L / 4 foot long tank and started reading up on lighting for aquariums in general.
(Will not be able to provide lighting specs but probably won't be super important for what I'm asking anyway).

Basically, I've found there is an 'ideal' amount of wattage per litre when it comes to sufficient lighting for plants HOWEVER, I can't seem to find anything on how to calculate the strength of light vs how deep down in the tank you go.

My tank is 40cm deep down, so if there is anyone who is able to shed some light on the matter or even provide a means of calculation, would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• squishyfishysquishyfishy Member Posts: 10
    I've done some more research and stumbled across this page for anyone else interested in this topic:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/5433-potential-importance-tank-depth-light-attenuation.html

TL:DR If I've understood the article correctly, if you have strong enough lighting (2-3 watts per litre) then the depth is irrelevant.

• Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    Hi Squishyfish,

"TL:DR If I've understood the article correctly, if you have strong enough lighting (2-3 watts per litre) then the depth is irrelevant."

That is the way they worked it out back in the day with T8 and T5 lighting, with high to medium high light plants, low lights plants will grow well with 1.5wat per gallon.

Having said that, when LED lighting was introduced that formula doesn't really apply. If you want high light plants then you're going to want to go with co2 and that's something I know nothing about.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.