SEA HORSES!

ashlee
ashlee Member Posts: 114
edited July 2009 in Marine / Saltwater Fish
I have always had fish but only freshwater.
But since I was little, the lfs where I used to live occasionally has seahorses.
I would love to have one but can anyone tell me anything about them?

Comments

• mondeo79
    mondeo79 Member Posts: 142
    Try and get captive breed sea horses. Wild caught ones dont last long.
    "Freshwater" Seahorses are not true marine sea horses but closely related pipefish.
    Live food is a must. Frozen live food (Brine shrimp) are sometimes accepted. Marco Algae that grows in your tank can also be a supplementary food source.
    Sea Grass and high quality sea rock helps to reduce stress and provides cover and anchor point for sea horses
    It does not have scales and is very sensitive to temperature changes and chemicals
    Life expectancy is short, between 1-4 yrs under ideal condition
    Moderate light requirement
    Stable water condition including salinity
    Slow water current
    Tall or high tank preferred.
    23-25 degree c (Backup heater running on a separate power source is required in case of blackouts)-/+ 2 degree C. temperature tolerance.
    Peaceful but a species only tank is often recommended. Tank mates can include other slow moving/drifter type fish, some marine eels
    Also ask the pet shop/aquarium for its scientific name. There are about 35 species of seahorse. Some have very different requirements to the ones I have stated. While others are endangered species and shouldnt be in the trade at all.
  • ashlee
    ashlee Member Posts: 114
    How big a tank for one seahorse and is it advisable to keep more than one?
  • mondeo79
    mondeo79 Member Posts: 142
    It depends on what sort of seahorses u want and can get and how competent you are with a marine tank.

If you have the money, you should always get the biggest tank you can afford. In a small tank with few hiding spaces, two male seahorses will fight for space and food. The solution is to have a male to female ratio of 1:2 or 1:3. Alternatively, another way is to get two different species of seahorses. Male seahorses usually only show aggression towards their own species.

Another consideration in regards to tank size for seahorses is the decoration. Seahorse needs anchoring points to which they can secure themselves by using their tail. Sea grass is often recommended for this purpose as it provides a natural solution that not only provides safe anchoring points and also, cover for the seahorse. Therefore, the tank must be able to hold the sea grass that is available in your area and budget plus any addition decorations such as sea rocks u may want to add.

With the exception of the Dwarf seahorse (Hippocampus zosterae), 12-20 gallon is require for a pair plus additional 6-10 gallon for each additional pair. It is possible to keep 4-6 Dwarf seahorses in a 5 gallon tank since they only grow to a height of about 4-5cm. But Dwarf Seahorses are even more resource intensive. They feed almost only live baby brine shrimp (Full grown adults will sometimes take normal brine shrimps)

Last but not least, the height of a tank is the ESSENTIAL consideration. While most seahorses grow to between 7- 18cm tall, afew like the Pot Belly Seahorse/Belly Seahorse (Hippocampus abdominalis) can grow to more than 30cm tall in which case, you will need 22 gallon for a single pair plus 10-12 for each additional pair.

If you serious about getting seahorses, you will need to be aware that they are resource intensive (time and money). When you do see them for sale, ask for their scientific name so that you can do more detailed research into them.