Problems with Java Moss

Dr. Qwert
Dr. Qwert Member Posts: 393
edited June 2012 in Planted Tanks
Following exams finishing I decided to catch up on some plant maintenance, including cleaning up vastly overgrown.

Have people found that it can trap immence amounts of gunk, which in turn can lead to algae.
In both my tanks I'd found it had grown under the roots of other plants, to the extent it has uprooted Java Fern and an Aubius piece. Impossible to get it all out of the root system.

Also removed it from around the filter intake in fear of it clogging the filter. And from much of the tank just for aesthetics.

Has anyone else found these problems?

Comments

• Mooo
    Mooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    edited June 2012
    Yes I have this issue when I have let the moss grow too thick, it is better to keep your mosses short by trimming every second week, collect the bits and use elsewhere..
    I keep it off the filters best I can. I used a fake plastic bonsai tree with spikey leaves to hold the moss. It looks just like a tree lol oh well I think it does lol
    Photobucket
    You can see it is due for a trim :D
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • Doug
    Doug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    one word...Shrimp :D

they will keep it clean for ya
  • Mooo
    Yup yup..good point Doug :D
  • Dr. Qwert
    And be a good source of protein for the dwarf cichlids. :P
  • Mooo
    :( oops
  • Dr. Qwert
    Got me thinking about RCS.

My only previous attempt with shrimp wasn't successful so a few questions
    If I was to get some obviously I'd need to move out the apistos and make fairly wholesale changes. Could they be housed with BNs, Endlers and a flying fox?
    Exoskeleton inverts tend to prefer slightly alkaline water, but using rainwater and generally keeping low pH tanks I keep them at roughly 6. Reading up on RCS I get conflicting numbers from 6-8 as ideal, what would you recommend as a target pH?
    This would be in the 3ft tank run on an eheim 2213 cannister and an undergravel (mostly because I'm airating anyway), is the intake of the eheim too powerful?

Last time I tried them wasn't successful so I have a little trepidation before buying more that I have things rightly set up for them.
  • Brengun
    Brengun Moderator Posts: 1,985
    Ph 6 is a little low. It probably means not much calcium in the water.
    PH 6.5 and up would be much better. I would check my GH levels and if they are 4 or under, I would boost it up with a bit of Seachem Equilibrium to GH 5 or more. It does have calcium in it and may not shoot your pH up so high as fiddling about with the kH. It has no nasty minerals that shrimp don't like.
    Photobucket
  • Dr. Qwert
    Thanks Bren,

Starting to slowly increase the pH now as the current fish would probably appreciate a slight raise anyway.

Are the potential fish with them alright, don't want to have an explosion of RCS numbers and permanently have to be re-homing them but at the same time would like to see a gentle growth in numbers.

Firstly are Endlers a good match, being slightly smaller than guppies I thought they'd leave at least the adults well alone? The SFF could easily be rehomed to have a companion in my other tank, but preferably would stay to keep the BBA in check. Would the BAs find too many of the young RCS in the substrate?
  • ryohll
    ryohll Member Posts: 32
    Same problem here except i did go with RCS (red cherry shrimp) to do the cleaning i now regret it what started out as 4 is now 400, the shrimp are everywhere and is starting to look like a invasion of ants in my tank.
  • Mooo
    :>
  • Dr. Qwert
    What else have you got in the tank?
    Can you not offload a few to a LFS or other local hobbiests?
    If you leave 400 RCS and whatever fish in your tank and numbers growing there's a fairly realistic chance you'll detiorate the water quality of your tank. You should get the numbers under control soon, the more there are the faster the numbers can grow.
    On a brighter note I bet the moss is clean ;)
  • ryohll
    ryohll Member Posts: 32
    I constantly net them out to give it to a friend as feeders
  • Dr. Qwert
    For the record I did go down the shrimp route, the tank which had at the time of posting 1 A. macmasteri, 1 A. hongsloi and 1 Flying Fox now has 3 OSBN's, 12 Threadfin Rainbows, ~8 Darwin Rednose Shrimp, ~25 RCS.

Unfortunately lost the 2 apistos, it was 3 years since I'd got them as adults.
  • Mooo
    Photos Doc lol, Sounds nice .. ;)
  • Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    I want to see pics as well, :D
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Dr. Qwert
    I struggle with a camera and decent sized fish, no hope with shrimp. And the fish are all stcared of me for some reason, the threadfins dart into the most shelterred corners if I get anywhere near the tank. Doesn't make it too easy to know if they're eating well either. Pics will have to wait.
  • Dr. Qwert
    edited August 2012
    OK, the DRNS' were front and centre so I tried. Here's proof that I struggle with a camera.

Photobucket

Photobucket

DRNS
  • Mooo
    edited August 2012
    Not too shabby mate..Thanks for that..They are pretty shrimp :x Been thinking about some myself :D
  • Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    Pics look good, I like how the keep your anubias nice and clean.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Dr. Qwert
    I think you should Mooo, then you can take some nicer pictures of them.

I would have orderred some more but I was dipping my toe into the shrimp world. I'll see if I can get some pictures of the threadfins when they begin to trust me.
  • megs
    megs Member Posts: 261
    I cant wait to see the threadfins, was thinking of doing a tank up my self...not sure if I am experienced enough!
  • Dr. Qwert
    early days but there doesn't seem too much to them. The only thing really is small foods, give them a well cycled tank and set yourself up a microworm culture and away you go.