What would you recommend for these plants?

Elvy Golden-Brown
Elvy Golden-Brown Member Posts: 25
edited August 2012 in Planted Tanks
I'm planning on planting anubias (on driftwood), a few assorted crypts, some corkscrew vals, java fern and moss, and an echinodorus crimson sails. My substrate is sand, and my lighting...well I am still working that out. The tank is huge (app 1000 litres) and fairly deep (76cm...although the water depth is lower, that's about how far the light is from the bottom of the tank). I have three 120cm 40watt light tubes (1 T10 180 lux Powerglo, 2 T8 130 lux Aquaglo - 18000k each). I think with those three tubes combined, that will make it a low lighted aquarium for plants, am I right? Or am I completely off. Lights are confusing me, I need to do more research.

Anyway, with those plants, what ferts should I use? I'm thinking of using dino dung tabs for the rooted plants, and dosing the water column with dino pee. I'm not doing any CO2, should I use dino spit as well? I've never tried a planted tank seriously before, but I've got my big show tank now and I'm looking forward to learning something new. Any advice would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Mooo
    Mooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    Low lighting sounds like it will be ok..Fert tabs would definitely be needed, Sand(what type of sand?) as a substrate will grow plants but not well..I had minimal success with sand and plants(using Sydney river sand)..But given the right amount of ferts it should work ok..It's a huge size..What filter will you be running on it?
    ..The moss may struggle(grow slower) depending where you place it..Bit iffy on the crimson ones, is it specifically for low light? I'll google it n see ;;)
    Yes on the spit & pee Question..bit not directly on the javas, it could melt them..
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    With the lighting I would go with T5 lights 6500k, designed for planted tanks, more powerful than T12 and T8 and use less power ;)
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Mooo
    She doesn't want it all lit up tho, Wants low light..T5 are high output globes..I agree, tried to get my dad to get some the other day instead of T8's..But he wanted the T8's 8-|
    I think the lights should do..The plants will let you know..if they thrive..gooodo. if not, replace sand and lighting.. :)>-
  • Elvy Golden-Brown
    edited August 2012
    "Low lighting sounds like it will be ok..Fert tabs would definitely be needed, Sand(what type of sand?) as a substrate will grow plants but not well..I had minimal success with sand and plants(using Sydney river sand)"
    "With the lighting I would go with T5 lights 6500k, designed for planted tanks, more powerful than T12 and T8 and use less power"
    Some new info, I'm looking at getting LED lights in the next few months...the price to get the right amount for my tank versus replacing the fluorescent tubes every 12 months is really good. Plus they're much more energy efficient.

I'm going with river sand from Bunnings.
    "But given the right amount of ferts it should work ok..It's a huge size..What filter will you be running on it?"
    There's an FX5 and a plumbed wet/dry sump...both pumping around 3500lph. I don't know whether the sump will chew up the co2 or not...I'm reading conflicting things, but I guess I'll find out soon!

It is huge...I wasn't really expecting to go this big. I actually bought it advertised as 6x2x2 but when I measured it was roughly a full foot longer, and half a foot deeper. Kinda scary really. Especially seeing as we had to build the stand for it, and it's our first carpentry job! But I'm feeling good about our stand, it's pretty heavy duty, all the weight is transferred down through wood, into the legs and spread through the base, and it's all level so it should hold. But if you hear about West Nowra getting a random flash flood in the next few months, you'll know I'm wrong. :-D
    "The moss may struggle(grow slower) depending where you place it..Bit iffy on the crimson ones, is it specifically for low light? I'll google it n see"
    Crimson Sails does like a bit of light...one of the bonuses of going to the LED setup, I can get the light requirements right for it.

The moss is going in a strange place, kinda like a moss wall...let me explain. I'm making a background out of styrofoam to block light at the back and hide the weir. Down the bottom half of the tank background I'm attaching some PVC pipes to the foam for fish caves, and the upper half will be like thin boxes, built to hold (removable) mattenfilter foam an inch in front of them with the java moss attached to the foam. Small powerheads will intake from the gap inbetween (it's all cut so fish can't get in) to suck water through the foam and add to the circulation.
    "Yes on the spit & pee Question..bit not directly on the javas, it could melt them"
    Yep, thinking of dosing the ferts into the return chamber of the sump so that they're pumped back into the water rather than me dosing straight into the water. Good idea?
  • Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    Led lights are a fantastic option, but do your research well before you get them as 90% of them are designed for saltwater tanks not freshwater.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Elvy Golden-Brown
    Yes, the place I'm buying from has two types...one for marine tanks with coral, and one for regular freshwater planted, so I'm happy with that! I've been looking at lights for months, wanting LED's but put off by the price. Not ten minutes after I posted this, I found the right ones. Serendipity.
  • Mooo
    edited August 2012
    Fantastic Elvy..You will love the leds, I have one tank with a led, It's great..It's a planted tank.
    I think the Crimson Sails, may need co2 to thrive..but try a few tabs around it's butt..

:-bd