Banana lillies

Frayk
Frayk Member Posts: 1,009
After some trial and error ive managed success with most plants in my Saratoga tank, except the banana lillies any tips ? Any feed back greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Heintz.G
    Heintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,367
    Back in the olden days lol, when i had them i found that if you push them to far in substrate, or let the leaves hit the surface "just pinch them when they get about half way up" or they will rot, otherwise they should keep going for ages, unless the fish keep getting to them that's all i got.

Now to your Toga, what sort do you have, a Jardini or a Leichardti.

I just love the Toga. ^:)^
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Doug
    Doug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    the way i grew mine was tricky...i threw it into the tank and within a fortnight i had lily pads the size of dinner plates!
  • Frayk
    Thanks Heintz,will take that on board and try that.I ve got a Jardini, in a 90 cm x 50 x50 tank [220 ltr ?] he/she is 9cm,was 8 at purchase, bought on Australia day. A beautiful little fish,loves to eat,is active, and "glides" around the tank,flicks the tail to do a u-turn.Far better than Leichardi,theyre to flighty and nervous.Been keeping Aussie natives for a while now any feedback, experiences, etc much appreciated.
  • Heintz.G
    Jardini the best of the best, i hope you realise before long you will need a very large tank to house it, if i may so bold as to suggest a 244Lx90Wx24H cm tank would be a good size. Don't forget they can grow to 90cm in length, and always keep the lids on the best of luck with with it.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
  • Frayk
    thanks for the input Heintz, im turning my shed into a fish room,so im trying to build another shed for the mower,tools etc,once completed , ill have heaps more room,8 foot tanks come to mind.Cheers :)
  • Heintz.G
    Sounds like a great project to me, well get cracking and on to it now. :))
  • Frayk
    Thanks Heintz, sadly its all time and money for me at the moment,all good though soon Cheers :-*
  • Heintz.G
    Time and Money the scourge of life. :))
  • Frayk
    Yep :| pretty much.
  • Heintz.G
    It'll happen when it happens, as my Mum says patience.

I say blah blah blah to patience. =)) =))
  • Frayk
    Our mums r always right! ;;) Now that the heat has left us,{Adelaide} all if possible,keep u posted,cheers Heintz
  • mr_c265
    mr_c265 Member Posts: 167
    Mate, chop the banana lillies off at the stalk once they get to the surface and quite large, then they'll sprout new plants.
  • Frayk
    Thanks m8,sorry, but do you mean,chopping the stalk off at the base of the plant?
  • mr_c265
    mr_c265 Member Posts: 167
    Spot on, you can chop it at the base and 1-2 inches below the pad as well if the hanging stalk is too ugly, just make sure the pad at the top is quite large.
  • Mooo
    Mooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    Patience Grasshopper :-\"
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif
  • Frayk
    Aaah, got it.Thanks,will give it ago,let u know.Cheers :)