Hi all! I'm a beginner who has previously only owned Goldfish and had no knowledge of aquariums. Since then, I have been doing research upon research and plan on doing a heavily planted, low-tech aquarium, and have a few questions about the stocking, equipment, and planting aspects of the tank.
1. the tank is 20 gallons (72 litres). I'm hoping to add a school of 10 amber tetras and 1 honey Gourami. Is this overdoing it? Would I be better off adding another honey Gourami or more tetra, or does stocking sound okay?
2. I'm planning on doing a fishless cycle. When it's done, i'm unsure in what order/how to add the fish. I've heard that adding all the fish at once is not a good idea, so should I add the Gourami or the tetra? The tetras do best in schools, so I'd feel bad adding just five tetra. Would adding all 10 or so at once affect the tank too much?
3. My LFS, last time I looked, had some honey Gourami that were quite small, I'm guessing they were young. These Gourami were a very light colour, almost whitish, with the males having some yellow on their fins. My question is, should I buy from this source when the time comes and hope as they mature they gain more colour, or should I go for a variant such as the Gold honey Gourami, which would have to be purchased online.
4. As said, my tank is 20 gallons (well, more like 19). I was planning to get a 50W heater, but I'm unsure if this would be too small for my tank. I was looking at getting a Jager heater- would I be better off going 50W or 100W?
5. At first I wasn't going to dose with ferts. However, I want this tank to look nice and as it's planted, I really want to dabble around with planted tanks and most of what they have to offer. Because I don't know much about ferts yet, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any kind of "all-in-one" fert brands etc. Would simple Flourish Excel work? I don't want anything overly complicated, but because I am adding a few easy to care for reddish plants, the added iron would be a bonus. I'm using ADA Amazonia aquasoil as a substrate, if that helps any.
6. Lastly, I would just like an opinion of plants that I'm using. I would like it to be a heavily planted tank. ADA aquasoil as substrate, no CO2, possible ferts (pending answers above), Aqua One PlantoGlo 26W LED light.
-Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown
Thank you all in advance