Help with Aquarium Management Assignment

MelM
MelM Member Posts: 2
Hi Everyone.

Thanks for the add Admins.

I am studying Aquarium Management and thought that joining a forum such as this would be a great way to meet aquarists that I may be able to ask questions in relation to my studies from time to time.

I have an assignment that I am working on where I am to find a willing aquarist to answer a few questions about their own aquarium.
- How did your passion begin?
- What are the benefits of having an aquarium?
- What are the disadvantages?
- How much time do you spend per day/week managing your aquarium(s)?
- Other than the obvious, what are the main differences between having a saltwater vs freshwater tank?
- What rare species can you keep?

One other question is:
- What happens when you dip a net into a tank of a school of bright coloured fish (e.g: cardinals)?
- Observe their reaction and why do you think this happens?
I assume that the fish will scatter away from the net but may also display some sort of colour change - I think it would be most likely that they lose their bright colouration. I would expect that this is a defensive behaviour.

If any one is able to help me out with the above questions, I would be really grateful.

A bit about me - At present I only have a pond with a few goldfish but as time goes on, and I have completed my course, I plan to set up some more elaborate set ups - possibly cichlids, but I am not 100% decided as yet.

Thanks in advance for anyone that is able to help.

Cheers,
Mel

Comments

  • Frayk
    Frayk Member Posts: 1,009
    Ok. I will give this a go, but, i can only speak for myself.
    My passion began with loving all animals, dogs, birds, Giraffes, lizards, snakes,axolotyls,
    Elephants, Whales, fish...........etc. If you get my drift.
    Then a fascination with water, moving water, life, living under water.
    Then a fascination with fish.
    I believe Aquariums regardless of size and prestige are an engaging escape from reality,
    as i said, i speak for myself.
    To be continued.............
  • Bob
    Bob Member, Classifieds Posts: 708
    Hi Mel,

    Not sure that I can say when the interest began.

    I remember as a very small kid being taken to rock pools in a sheltered area on the South coast of Victoria. Always maintained an interest in both marine and freshwater systems but have never ventured into “marine” aquaria. Being a “piscean” may also contribute to the interest.

    First aquarium was a two foot goldfish tank possibly mid-late sixties. Have had tanks of various types most of the time since. I like many of the South-East Asian fish such as gourami, rasbora and loaches.

    Amazonians are probably my preferred fish, some of the bigger Corydoras, Discus were a challenge but managed to have a number of spawning events, hatching, free swimming and grew out a number to adult. I have also had success spawning Angels and some of the Dwarf Cichlids.

    Having a functional eco-system in the house is very relaxing whether you are just watching or “tweaking” the system. Some might refer to that as maintenance.

    When I had the Discus in I was probably spending 30-45 minutes three times a week plus filter clean and associated work (60 -90 mins) every three months.

    Can’t help with differences between marine/freshwater.

    Scaring the fish will usually result in loss/subdued coloration as will not keeping your fish in good conditions.

    If you would like more information on some of these aspects I am happy to help.

    Cheers,

    Bob
  • MelM
    MelM Member Posts: 2
    Thankyou Frayk and Bob. I really appreciate your input.
  • Frayk
    Frayk Member Posts: 1,009
    Ok, how much time do i spend/per day/week?
    I have a 4ft tank [390 lt] home to 18cm Saratoga and a 3ft tank {app. 240 lt} which houses a 9cm Snake headed Gudgeon, and a few River Murray rainbows, 2 Purple spotted gudgeons also an Empire gudgeon and Bs cats.
    I''d probably spend about 90% enjoying them and the other 10% maintaining them!!!
    I invented an automatic water change system for both tanks which eliminates so much work.Cheers.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!