Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cichlids

I have a golden severum. Which cichlids are compatible, which are not aggressive?

Comments

• RainbowsRainbows Member Posts: 243
    There are several medium sized South American Cichlids that could be compatible but aren't the easiest to find. The easiest to source would be Firemouths I would think but don't take my word for it. Kribs would also probably be fine but they are a little smaller.
  • DougDoug Member, Classifieds Posts: 2,371
    firemouth, acaras, geophagus, lots of species
  • BobBob Member, Classifieds Posts: 708
    Hi Luigi,

What do you have in your tank and what do you want it to look like? Also, what size tank is it? Your severum will grow up to 30 cm, quite a large fish.

A severum is just going to love eating your plants but I guess that is a bit like having goldfish. If it's real the fish eat it.

I currently have three green severum in my 6x2x2 but it doesn't look as good as I would like because most of the vegetation is either eaten or got huge great holes in the leaves, and they are only 10 - 12 cm at the moment. I am thinking options at the moment but will see how they go over the next six months or so.

Cheers,

Bob
    Bob raises a good point (as always). It largely depends on what you would like to go with your fish, how big your tank is and what you want to have in there. The larger south American cichlids are not good with plants so I would suggest leaving them out. Make a nice hardscape with rocks and logs.

I used to have Oscars, geophagus, acaras and plecos in my big 500ltr tank. And even I am willing to admit that was overstocked, even with a 3500ltr/h trickle filter running.

There are also several different types of severum, you could go for a severum only tank. that would look cool imo
  • luigiluigi Member Posts: 561
    At the moment I have one gold severum, three or four Bolivian butterflies in a community's tank which holds 125litres This is temp. They are all getting along very well.

yeah, as i am sure you have picked by now, that is going to be too small. The Bolivians should be ok for a while, but I would watch them like a hawk!

Severams are peaceful but they also get big, so one day that little friendly fish that was swimming next to him all of a sudden fits in his mouth...and chomp.

What size tank are you planning?
    I am always keeping a close eye on them
    Does anyone have an elioti cichlid?
    What are the forums thoughts on dolphin cichlids?
    Lovely fish. get a good one and they have beautiful colours and are quite personable. They are quite aggressive and do get large.

I am no assuming you are talking about going in with the Severums...Nope :(

Blue dolphins are a rift lake cichlid and have very different water requirements to the American severums.
    Good to know Doug. Thanks.
    Do severum come in other colours rather than gold and green?
    Hey Luigi,

You're an Aussie! What colours would be more appropriate than green and gold?

There are variations though? If you search for severum images you will note that the lower line on the fish can be anything from a pale yellow do a red, especially in adult males in breeding condition. The pair I have spawning at the moment are a mid-yellow along the ventral line.

I obtained the fish in February at around 3 - 4 cm. they are now between 10 - 12 cm and on their first spawn. They are being very good parents and I still have a number of fry in the tank that have been tucked away and cared for by the parents. With luck I may have a few survive.

There are some pics on my UMMMM...........spawn thread. I will try to load some more onto photobucket for an update later.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    Just to add a bit more to what Bob wrote.

I found this on the net.

This could turn into a really long post about severums, so I'll try to address your actual fish first.

Let me say that there are tons of regional/location variants of severums, just like there are of discus and pretty much every other cichlid. Whether these "races" are actually separate species is another question altogether. That would require a close examination of things like scale counts, fin counts, looking at the jaws and skeletal structure, body markings, etc.

My guess is that most people would label your severums Heros efasciatus. You can rule out a few species by the location and also the number of vertical bars, but more on that later. These particular severums would probably be labeled by the location they were caught in: Heros efasciatus 'Purus' or maybe even Heros cf. efasciatus 'Purus'.

A quick explanation of using cf in a scientific name, for those who aren't sure: It is often referred to as "color form" but this is actually not true. It's from the Latin word conferre which in this sense means "compare to." Basically, it's saying that the fish should be compared to a known species, but that it could be a new species. In other words, it's like saying, "This fish may not be the exact same species as Heros efasciatus but they are similar." You may also see this written sometimes using the Latin word affinis, so it could be written Heros sp. aff. efasciatus. This nomenclature is used to note that a particular fish may be a variant of a known species or a new species altogether.

In my opinion, the Heros genus is a bit of a mess, like a lot of South American cichlids. I'm sure someone will eventually tackle the chore of sorting it out but until then, you have:

Described
    Heros efasciatus - The green severum, found in Brazil, Peru, and French Guiana
    Heros appendiculatus - The turquoise severum, found in Peru
    Heros severus - The 'true' severum, a mouthbrooder from Venezuela and Brazil
    Heros notatus - The black spotted severum, found in Brazil, French Guiana, and Guyana
    Heros spurius - This severum is from Rio Guapore, Brazil and I have never actually seen a live one

Undescribed
    Heros sp. 'rotkeil' - The red-shouldered severum, found in Peru
    Heros sp. 'Inirida' - A notatus-like severum with maroon/red spots, found in Rio Inirida, Colombia
    Heros sp. 'Atabapo' - Another mouthbrooding fish similar in behavior and appearance to true H. severus, found in the Rio Atabapo in Colombia
    Heros sp. 'Tapajos' - A blue-colored severum with a dark red nose/facial pattern from Rio Tapajos, Brazil

I have kept and bred all of the described species with the exception of H. spurius. To my knowledge, that fish has never been imported in any large quantities and I've never seen reports of hobbyists keeping or spawning them. To make things confusing, Kullander collapsed appendiculatus into efasciatus and essentially combined the green and turquoise severums. A lot of people disagree with that and think they should be left separate. I would tend to agree.

Heros sp. 'rotkeil' and Heros sp. 'Inirida' are unique in that they both have only 8 vertical stress bars, while all other species have 9.

There are other undescribed species floating around, including variants from Manaus, Tocantins, Santarem, etc but I listed the most commonly and widely distributed ones above. Again, though they may appear different, it's hard to say if they're just color variants or separate species. Although H. efasciatus is commonly called the "green severum," they range from brown, grey, olive, and blue in color. They are highly variable, just like wild discus, and they all can and will interbreed (with the exception of the mouthbrooding species, which will only spawn with other mouthbrooding severums).
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    Thanks Heintz,

Very interesting and informative post. I hadn't gone into the species in any depth so your information is much appreciated.

Now.........

Where can I get my hands on some "Rotkeil" severum? They look very attractive.

Cheers,

Bob
  • Heintz.GHeintz.G Moderator Posts: 1,363
    Bob said:

Thanks Heintz,

Where can I get my hands on some "Rotkeil" severum? They look very attractive.

Cheers,

Bob

I know they are here in QLD in very limited numbers and very expensive, there a few dedicated breeders trying their best to get them out there.

On the other hand, 'Tapajos' there is a breeder on another forum I belong to, who is selling 4-5cm juveniles for $80 each.

If you like I can pm you the forum.

cheers,

Heintz.
    Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes & dreams.
    Thanks guys for your information.
    Thanks Heintz,

Funding another "fathom" aquarium is a bit beyond the budget, not to mention might be placing a bit of strain on the "relationship". I do not intend to have more than a pair in a tank that size but perhaps something for the future.

Cheers,

Bob
    As I have a golden severum I will get a green one to keep with the aussie theme.
    I was wondering if anyone know if cichlids can go in a tank with turtles?
    My first thought is no.

Turtles are aggressive predators and would love to take a bite out of a bit disk like fish live a severum.
  • MoooMooo Moderator Posts: 7,653
    That'd be a No
    photo mooo_avat.gif "I'm a Doug Addict" photo cow2heartkisses.gif